The deep pink/purple spring buds of Magnolia fraseri 'Galaxy' open to very large (up to 20cm) tulip like flowers, which are pale rose pink inside and lightly scented. 'Galaxy' begins flowering at an early age and mature trees will flower profusely. Generally this variety flowers a little later in the year than other Magnolia varieties, so often misses the dreaded spring frosts.
Perfect for small or medium sized gardens, Magnolia 'Galaxy' is a fairly narrow, conical shaped small tree that will reach a height and spread of 6 x 4m in 20 years. A position in sun or light shade will suit, as long as it is sheltered.
- Common name: Pink Magnolia tree
- Awards: RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Height and spread in 20 years: 6 x 4 metres
- Seasons of interest: Spring, Summer
- Flowers: Pink, tulip like flowers appearing in spring
- Foliage: Deciduous mid-green foliage
- Soil: Prefers a moist well-drained site in loam, sandy or clay soils