One of the very best Maples for golden yellow leaf colour, Acer platanoides Princeton Gold shows striking clear yellow spring and summer foliage. Yellow clusters of small flowers appear on the bare branches in April along with helicopter-like seeds later in the year amonst the colourful lobed foliage.
Princeton Gold is very hardy and resilient to sun scorch, but does prefer a sheltered position. It is also tolerant of most soil types, pollution and even some drought. With an attractive upright, spreading habit, expect a height and spread of around 8 x 5 metres in 20 years. This Yellow Norway Maple makes a great tree where space allows.
- Common name: Yellow Norway maple tree
- Awards: RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Height and spread in 20 years: 8 x 5 metres
- Seasons of interest: Spring, Summer, Autumn
- Foliage: Golden yellow spring leaves turn yellow green in summer & autumn
- Soil: Best planted in moist, well-drained sites and suited to most soil types