Acer platanoides 'Royal Red' is a stunning Norway Maple tree admired for its colourful foliage that changes throughout the seasons. Its five-lobed leaves emerge a bright red colour when they are young, later darkening to purple/deep red in the summer. In autumn, they take on beautiful fiery shades of orange and yellow. Bright, lemon-yellow flowers appear in the spring, providing a dramatic contrast against the red foliage.
Acer 'Royal Red' is a fast-growing tree, with a slightly more upright habit, which will develop a wide, conical crown. Tolerant of most moist well-draining soil types, as well as urban pollution and drought (once established), with a good wind resistance, this beautiful tree is a solid choice for most gardens.
Ideal for adding boldness and drama to a landscape, plant ‘Royal Red’ in a full sun position for the most vibrant foliage, as a standalone specimen or lining an avenue. Will reach an approximate height and spread of 8 x 5 metres in 20 years but will continue to grow in maturity.
- Common name: Red Norway Maple tree
- Height and spread in 20 years: 8 x 5 metres
- Seasons of interest: spring, summer, autumn
- Foliage: Large, red/purple lobed leaves turning yellow/orange in autumn
- Flowers: Clusters of small, yellow flowers emerging in spring
- Soil: Most moist well-draining soil types