Fagus sylvatica 'Purple Fountain' looks truly astonishing when its red/purple foliage emerges in the spring, turning purple/green and then bronze and gold in the autumn. The pendulous branches of this Purple Beech sweep down from the central leader, some reaching the ground.
'Purple Fountain' is a beautiful slender weeping tree that will grow to approximately 4 metres in 10 years and can tolerate an exposed site. Most soils will do, but avoid very wet positions. Plant in full sun for the very best colour.
Common name: Weeping Purple Beech tree
- Awards: RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Height and spread in 10 years: 4 metres
- Season of interest: Spring, Summer, Autumn
- Foliage: Red-purple in spring, purple-green in summer and bronze in autum
- Soil: Suited to all soils, avoiding very wet positions